Manual Testing to Automated Testing
With over 1,500 manual test cases, the quality assurance process for the Client’s main Web application was quickly becoming very challenging to maintain. The application was constantly growing and we had to find away to reduce testing times, increase the amount of test cases and improve the system quality overall without introducing more additional testing time. Based on this experience, the SteloTechnology Quality Assurance team proposed to automate our testing process.Due to the complexity of the application and Budget, we had to decide what the best testing architecture would be.
Along with the client, SteloTechnology decided that the best option was to follow the best approach and select open source tools combined with a custom framework that allows us to:
- Reduce the time to create scripts.
- Reduce the time to maintain the scripts.
Combine several automation tools in order to get the benefits of each one of them while circumventing their weaknesses.
Develop special features that could be reused by all scripts:
- Take screenshots
- Connect with a data base
- Create Automated Reports
Some of the tools and technologies that were chosen include:
- Selenium Webdriver2.0
- Jenkins for CI
Select a Selenium Web driver 2.0 Open Source tool:
- They are free and we could Save the client’s cost.
- Cross platform Support
- Reusability and Integrations
Stelo Team Divided the Phases:-
- Decide what Test Cases to Automate.
- Divide your Automated Testing Efforts.
- Create Good, Quality Test Data.
- Create Automated Tests that are Resistant to Changes in the UI.
- Automate Repetitive tests that run for multiple builds.
- Automate Frequently used functionality that introduces high risk conditions.
SteloTechnology helped the Client reduce the test processing time by 40%, add hundreds of additional test cases without affecting schedules and keep test cycles under control.SteloTechnology was also able to help the Client automate the Automatic system deployment process through Continuous Integration, as well as the system installation, installation testing, smoke tests, feature testing (including integration with other tools), performance testing and all the report generation to produce reliable quality metrics.